VMware Cloud Community
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage VMotion ?

Hi,

I was wondering about Storage VMotion? As I did some searching I found that at one time there was a script and GUI out there to do this but I also see that VMware sells a Storage Vmotion product also. I am just wondering how you would know if you have this capability or if this is an add-on feature that does not come with Enterprise VI3 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe it is a seperate license other than vMotion license - so if you are licensed for vMotion you can do storage vMotion -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

I think you should be correct on this

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
pgifford
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If you have vmotion licensed on your cluster then you can use SVMOTION. There is no GUI for this, you will have to download the RCLI appliance, or the RCLI windows installable in order to use the feature.

If you want to use the RCLI appliance, check this out ->

The only limitation of the appliance is that you can only for one smvotion at a time. Mind you sometimes that isn't such a bad thing.

Hope that this helps, let me know if it does.

Paul

Paul Gifford Virtualization Practice Lead | Mainland Information Systems Ltd.
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

IF you are unconfortable with the RCLI (read command line) then you could investigate the Storage VMotion vCenter Plugin found here

Storage VMotion Plugin

it was writen be a community member aktuz I have used it a number of times and it works

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
pgifford
Contributor
Contributor

I am not too sure that the plugin is supported by VMware.

Paul Gifford Virtualization Practice Lead | Mainland Information Systems Ltd.
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I never said it was supported, just that it works. there are a lot of tools that we use in our day to day armoury that are not supported by VMware. but we still use them

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos