VMware Cloud Community
wd300
Contributor
Contributor

Storage VMotion requires shutdown?

Why is it that in order to relocate some of my VM's does the UI say that the machine needs to be powered off in order to complete?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

More than likely it might have to do with the differences in the ESX hosts like CPU incomatability - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wd300
Contributor
Contributor

Shouldn't be that. All of my hosts are identical.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

in order to change both host and datastore at the same time, the VM must be powered off.  However, if you just want to change host, use vMotion, if you just want to change datastore, use Storage vMotion, if you want to change both, while online, first vMotion, then Storage vMotion.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

And actually as I know think about it I am wrong since in Storage vMotion the VM does not change hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

storage vmotion does not require down time. the only reason is that you're moving to a storage that is current not present in the local host. could be local storage of another host.

0 Kudos
tfpjr
Contributor
Contributor

check to see if your vm's have snapshots that need to be committed...

0 Kudos