VMware Cloud Community
RikSide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage VMotion for a VM with SAN LUNs attached in it. Will they all move?

Hi,

Not sure which section to post this, so sorry if its wrong.

We are wanting to Storage VMotion our SQL VM's. These are on our NetApp 3040 SAN. In the VM's (windows 2003) they have LUNs also attached to the NetApp 3040 SAN.

What I need to know is, if we tried to do Storage VMotion to the other SAN (NetApp 3170) will it have problems due to the fact that its not just storage VMotioning the VMs its self, but also the LUNS, or would the LUNS remain on the 3040, and the VMs be moved to the 3170?

Does that make sense?!

If any more info is need to help just shout!

Cheers in advance...

Rik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bsmyers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RDM is for Raw Device Map.

As I posted earlier you will have to move that data for the Raw LUNS to the new Raw luns either via data copy inside the vm if you can map the new raw luns to it or data copy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bsmyers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are the vm's disks vmdk files or do you also have RDM's for them?

If vmdk files then yes they will move the whole to the new luns and the existiing ones will stay in place and can be removed after. If RDM's then the data would need to be moved to the new RDM's and I don't believe sVmotion will do that part as they're really windows formatted disks.

0 Kudos
RikSide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Disks for the VM's are 2 Virtual Disks (vmdk) which are all part of one Datastore (which I'm sure the sVmotion will move) and the rest (the SQL disks with in the VM!) are Mapped Raw LUNs

Sorry, I'm rubbish with acronyms, what does RDM stand for?!

0 Kudos
bsmyers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

RDM is for Raw Device Map.

As I posted earlier you will have to move that data for the Raw LUNS to the new Raw luns either via data copy inside the vm if you can map the new raw luns to it or data copy.

0 Kudos
RikSide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahhh great!

I'll just Snap Mirror the Disk LUNS fro the 3040 to the 3170 and then swap the disks to the new ones.

Then do the sVmotion of the actual VM Smiley Happy

Massive thanks for your help!

0 Kudos