I recently applied the July patches to my ESX hosts. I'm having a problem now and I'm not sure if it was a problem before the updates.
If I go to the configuration of certain hosts and look at the storage configuration via VirtualCenter (2.0.1 Build 40644) the LUNs show no path information for the HBAs. If I connect directly to the host using the VI Client everything appears correctly. I only noticed this working with support on another issue that caused some SAN problems. One of the ESX hosts only saw one path to my SAN even though it has two HBAs. I first saw this problem working with the SE. I rescanned the HBA and all appeared to be correct. A few minutes later I couldn't access the information from Vcenter but could with a direct connection.
I thought it might be a problem with my VC server so I rebooted it and one of the problem ESX hosts but this did not correct it. Has anyone else seen this? If so, was there any solution? I don't know if it matters, but the ESX boxes are HP DL385s some have qlogic and some have emulex HBAs.
I intermittemtly have similar issues with VC and paths.
If I use esxcfg-mpath that always seems to display the correct info - but VC often hangs or displays no info.
I logged it as a fault - but got no solution - I just ignore it now and use the command line if I need to query them.
I just got a similar response from VMware support. The SE is doing some research to identify the bug report for VC failing to report the paths correctly for one HBA. I need to verify but I think he said that one of the HBAs seemed to have no available paths to any of the LUNs, at least according the host log files, but no errors were recorded either.
Very, very strange.