VMware Cloud Community
espi3030
Expert
Expert

Steps on creating a NFS datastore

Hello all,

Please forgive my simplistic question, but I am having a tough time accomplishing this "simple?" task. I have a datadomain device with a NFS share on it for my ESX hosts, I cannot add the datastore. Can someone please help me out with step by step instructions to verify if I am doing this correctly? My ESX host has (4) NICs, (1) SC, (1) VMotion both connected to vSwitch0 no VLANs or trunking. (2) trunked with about (10) VLANS connected to vSwitch1. I have created vSwitch2 with both vmnics that contain VLANs, and a VMKernel Port labeled NFS with it'sown IP in the correct subnet and VLAN ID. When I try to create the NFS Datastore I get "Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server".

Help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashoksavitha
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Is your NFS server running Linux? If so, have you appropriately modified the /etc/exports file in order to export the directory that will serve as your datastore?

Ashok

espi3030
Expert
Expert

Ashok,

Thank you for your prompt responce. the NFS server is running a datadomain proprietary OS, I have been assured that all permissions/exports/ACLs are properly configured.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Paul
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try a vmkping to the datadomain box?

vmkping <IP-Address>

Perhaps there is something wrong with the network from your ESX to the NFS Server.

Best regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

This won't answer your direct question, but it worth having a read of this article if using NFS.

Dave