VMware Cloud Community
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Status column in VirtualCenter no accurate

I have VirtualCenter Version 2.0.2 Build 50618 installed and all of the ESX servers are 3.0.2 Build 52542. When I look at virtual machines with the Virtual Infrastructure Client many show up with no status information. For instance if I select the root level of a datacenter in the inventory by default all the virtual machines for that datacenter will be listed on the left hand side of the VI client. There is a column named Status that shows either red/yellow/green. I would say over half the 180 virtual machines I have show absolutely no status even through the are powered on and running fine. The other columns like host CPU and Host Mem show up. Anything that can be done about this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Couple things to try, in order listed until problem fixed.

1) Edit each of the alarm definitions one by one, changing a setting and then changing it back.

2a) Restart the VirtualCenter service

2b) If 2a doesn't immediately fix it, do step 1 after the VC service restart

3a) At the service console type "service mgmt-vmware restart"

3b) If it STILL doesn't work, do Step 2a and if necessary 2b.

I've had luck with doing just step 1, but on occasion have had to do 2a/2b.

0 Kudos
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated to VirtualCenter 2.5 and that seemed to have addressed that issue.

0 Kudos
cryptonym
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC 2.5 did not seem to fix the alarming problem for me. I just had to "dance" with it to clear out alarms from some time back.

But my bigger problem in VC2.5 is that it is not keeping any performance data. I can see the realtime and 1 hour views (both which it pulls off the ESX server directly), but week and month and custom all come back blank. I have a ticket in, but this seems to be a SQL Express issue (i.e. Expres doesn't have SQLAgent, so no routine schedules run).

0 Kudos