VMware Cloud Community
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the "Tasks And Events" tab on several of our VM's I found the following message:

Name: Migrate Virtal Machine Target: VM-1 Reason: Status: Operation timed out.

16/11/2007 1:52:16 AM, Failed to migrate VM-1 from HOST-1 to HOST-1

16/11/2007 1:36:45 AM, Migrating VM-1 off host HOST-2 in DATACENTER-1

16/11/2007 1:36:32 AM, Migrating VM-1 from HOST-2 to HOST-1

It seems that DRS is trying to move the VM from and to the same host, and what a surprise, that does not work. Am I reading this wrong or is DRS stupid?

Regards,

Marten

0 Kudos
8 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Are you able to manually VMotion the VM? What about perform a cold migration?

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I can VMotion and cold migrate but that is not my queastion. It is, why is DRS trying to move it from and to the same host?

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Well, exuuuuuuuuse meeeEeEeE!!! Smiley Happy

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

heheh, I didn't mean it to come out so snappy, it's very early and not enough coffee. Sorry. Yes, the host are in the same datacentre.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

No worries -

It does almost appear that DRS is trying to VMotion a machine from "itself to itself".

###############

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah you are right, it does appear that DRS is trying to VMotion a machine from "itself to itself".

These ESX hosts are in the same Cluster in the same Datacenter. So VI should be fully aware of it's own hosts....you would think.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Yeah, that is weird.

Do you have any CPU affinity setup for the VM? (Since you are able to VMotion the VM, I imagine the answer is "no" but go ahead and double-check)

How many ESX hosts are in the cluster? If you manua (lly VMotion the VM to a different ESX host, is DRS then able to funtion properly?

###############

0 Kudos
LMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No CPU affinity is set for the for the VM,.There are 11 hosts in this cluster. The odd thing is that after this error regarding VMotion from and to the same host I see several successful VMotions. It's only when it's stupid enough to VMotion from and to itself that it fails. So I don't see why it sometimes picks itself as both source and destination.

0 Kudos