VMware Cloud Community
maia06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Statistics on VM utilisation

Hi,

I am looking for a product that can produce different kind of statistics and reports on VM utilisation. For example, I would like to know which VM consumes most and which VM consumes less CPU and memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

There's advanced tools for this from Vizioncore and a couple of other suppliers, however do not immediately dismiss the statistics you can get from within Virtual Center.

If you login to the Virtual Infrastructure Client (VIC) then you'll find a statistics tabpage for each virtual machine as well as for the host in general.

The user interface for the statistics is a bit confusing, but i encourage you to play with this a bit before resorting to alternatives. Basically you can get 2 type of statistics:

1. Real time statistics over the last hour

2. 5 minute statistics that give you an overview over the last 24 hours.

You can select your own details for Disk, CPU, Network or host and even export to excel.

Another alternative would be running esxtop in batch mode and feed to output to an excel sheet.

Many ways to skin a cat and -as usual- depending on the time / expertise available you can use solutions that range from free to expensive.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

There's advanced tools for this from Vizioncore and a couple of other suppliers, however do not immediately dismiss the statistics you can get from within Virtual Center.

If you login to the Virtual Infrastructure Client (VIC) then you'll find a statistics tabpage for each virtual machine as well as for the host in general.

The user interface for the statistics is a bit confusing, but i encourage you to play with this a bit before resorting to alternatives. Basically you can get 2 type of statistics:

1. Real time statistics over the last hour

2. 5 minute statistics that give you an overview over the last 24 hours.

You can select your own details for Disk, CPU, Network or host and even export to excel.

Another alternative would be running esxtop in batch mode and feed to output to an excel sheet.

Many ways to skin a cat and -as usual- depending on the time / expertise available you can use solutions that range from free to expensive.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
maia06
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like also to know how many users are connected to a virtual machine. Is there any way to get this information for all VMs in VirtualCenter?

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, the number of connected users to a VM are very guest operating system specific. I think you should not look at ESX tooling, but at tooling around your guest operating systems instead (like tools that monitor windows guests via WMI). Maybe IPswitch Whatsup, Solarwinds Orion or the like.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com