VMware Cloud Community
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Standalone converter 4.3 fails to convert Redhat 6.0

I am trying to convert a physical to virtual RHEL 6 server.  My system is ESXi 4.1 vCenter.  The conversion gets to 99%, then fails with the following error:  "Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine".  I have successfully converter Linux servers before, but this is the first time I have tried a Redhat 6 conversion.  Is there a problem with Converter and Redhat 6?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

RHEL 6 is not yet officially supported by Converter 4.3

That being said, was there a resultant vm after the process completed, albeit unsuccessfully?  Did you attempt to start it?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, and when I start it it tries to boot to the kernel, then fails with the message "No root device found Boot has failed, sleeping forever."

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Disclosure here, I haven't tried to P2V a RHEL 6 machine myself.

That being said, have you booted with a livecd, to see if your data actually copied to the vm successfully?

-KjB

tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, but I will give it a shot.

0 Kudos
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried booting from the cd and it reports that there are no Linux disks available, so the data is not there. Unless there is a solution I will have to shutdown the Linux system and copy the files using my old method, where I boot from a system rescue cd with partimage and copy the files that way.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did the boot cd see any drives?  Run 'fdisk -l' to see what is there?

You may have to resort to the old method, at least for sometime while support is added for RHEL 6.

-KjB

0 Kudos
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think my problem is with LVM, not necessarily the version of Linux.  I got around this by booting with the SystemRescue disk and running partimage.  The LVM filesystems were listed as "unknown" when I ran partimage, so I had to run some lvm commands to see them, then mounted the volumes on a second disk.  Once I did that I could copy the image.  Here is the link that explains what I had to do.  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/can%92t-mount-lvm-from-linux-rescue-790511/

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Very good.  That's partly why I asked about the fdisk output, to see what type of partition was recognized.  Good you figured out a solution.

-KjB

0 Kudos