VMware Cloud Community
AdamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Standalone VCSA?

Hi all,

I haven't worked with VMware for the last 4 years or so and - as it does - the landscape has changed somewhat.

I'm currently working on upgrading vCenter 6.0 to v6.7, and we've opted to move to a appliance-based VCSA, and retire the Windows Server host that the vCenter environment is currently sitting on.

Initially, I was under the impression that VCSA could be deployed as a standalone VM/box, and we could move the hosts to it. So far, all the documentation seems to point towards "ingesting" the VCSA into an existing environment, then moving all your assets across.

Is there any way of having a standalone VCSA box from scratch?

I hope I'm making some sense, and thanks upfront

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The vcsa is deployed from an app on your computer, if you want it an be a brand new one, but if you want to "upgrade" a windows one it firsts creates a new appliance then transfers the settings over. I think this is what you mean by ", then moving all your assets across. " You can start from scratch and deploy the vcsa to a new host if you want, there is no prereq to deploy it in a pre existing environment.

0 Kudos
AdamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm still in the development phase at this point, and I've been wanting to get a working lab up and running first. All the KB articles I've dug into all seem to suggest installing the VCSA in an existing environment. I was under the impression that, since it's built on Linux, I could deploy the VCSA first.

Could you perhaps point me in the direction of setting it up as a brand new one, please? Ideally, in my test lab, I'm hoping to have a VCSA VM that isn't built on a Windows Server host, if possible?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I suggest doing some research, sites like

https://masteringvmware.com/how-to-install-vcsa-6-7-step-by-step/

go through the process step by step

0 Kudos
AdamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, so, this is pretty much in line with what I've come across so far.

It's either my expectation of the product or my understanding of it, but this is still effectively using Windows as a starting point - and running a Windows installer to get the VCSA up.

I really thought VCSA could be installed, almost like it's own OS, on a VM (or host) somehow - is this not possible?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

you don't install it you deploy a preconfigured appliance and configure it.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vCenter Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The starting point can be a linux, osx or a windows box.

The installer creates a appliance like VM on an ESX host. This host doesnt need to be part of the later environment the VCSA is managed.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
AdamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input.

I've spent a bit more time with this today. I guess the real question I'm looking for an answer to - can the VCSA VM be deployed to any other hypervisor? In this case, can it be deployed to a Proxmox host?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCSA is supported on ESXi 5.5 or later

vCenter Server Appliance Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos