VMware Cloud Community
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Splitting One Data Center with 11 hosts

Greetings,

I have a need to split this one DataCenter total of 11 hosts to a 2 DC 5host / 6host DC.

The DC/5 hosts are all configured with networkA and the other DC6/ to different networkB.

If I create 2 DC's and most the hosts in their respective DCs, does anyone recall any issues that took place or can take place[/b] or drag n drop into the DC's will cause no harm??

Thanks

Go CUBs

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will have to remove the existing datacenter and recreate two datacenters.

After that, you can drag and drop the hosts into the two new datacenters.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will have to remove the existing datacenter and recreate two datacenters.

After that, you can drag and drop the hosts into the two new datacenters.

0 Kudos
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So i have 11 hosts under the 1 DC.

If i remove it the hosts will just be floating? NO harm in removing the main DC?

0 Kudos
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will have to setup the data centers again. The data centers are used for DRS so you have to setup any data center shares, resource pools, etc. The hosts will still remain in Virtual Center and you can add them back to the new data centers.

0 Kudos
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So have you done this before and not seen any degradation or critical issues arise when you removed the 1 DC?

0 Kudos
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did not have any problems. Remember, any DC specific resource pools, allocations that are associated with the DC will have to be setup again.

0 Kudos
chicagovm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Im not even sure you can do that with ESX 2.x Onlly thing we have is default setup for the DC and a folder or 2.

0 Kudos
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try creating another DC and moving the existing host machines out of the default DC. Then move them into the new DC you created.

0 Kudos