VMware Cloud Community
androidtopp
Contributor
Contributor

Some (not all) hosts not reporting historical performance data in vCenter?

I have an odd issue - 3 of my 11 ESXi 4.1 U1 hosts are no longer historical reporting performance data to vCenter. At one point, all 11 hosts were reporting and logging historical data just fine, but now, when I visit the "overview" section of the performance tab, all the charts for any of these 3 hosts show "No Data Available." All 3 of these systems stopped logging historical data at the same time, but all of them still show real time data with no issues in both overview and advanced modes.

This sounds like an issue I've had before (in a different environment) with upgrading vCenter, but in this case, vCenter was installed as version 4.1 U1, and the hosts were upgraded from 4.1 to 4.1 U1. Either way, I've taken the steps detailed in various knowledge base articles to rebuild/recreate stored SQL procedures, confirm data types for specific database table fields, etc. I have also tried restarting management agents and rebooting hosts, but to no avail.

Has anyone seen an issue like this before, affecting part of the environment but not all of it?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
3 Replies
karo2k4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andrew

I can not help you at the moment. I have the same problem as you. I'll try to restart the ESX Server later. Maybe it helps.

Please let me know if you have found a solution for the problem. So i'll do the same. Smiley Happy

Regards

Dominik

0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can try to resolve the problem this way:

1) Set Host in Maintenance Mode

2) Remove the Host from the cluster

3) Add the Host back to the Cluster (you will not loose the powered off VM's)

4) Exit Maintenance Mode

After 10 minutes you will see the new performance data in the History, but all the old data is lost.

This was successful in my environment, loosing the old data was better than having no actual data for me.

Paul

0 Kudos
DavidMHolland
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a similar issue where after upgrading ESXi from 4.0 to 4.1 on a host, the overview view in the performance for the host and any VMs it hosted, showed 'no data available'.  Drilling down to the advanced view did, however show statistics as you would expect.

This was despite other hosts that had been upgraded showing performance data OK in the Overview view, so ruling out a database issue.

My solution was as follows:

On the vCenter server:

Stop the service "VMware VirtualCenter Server", which also stops the service "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices".

Start the service "VMware VirtualCenter Server"

Start the service "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices".

After a short period (5-10 mins) the overview started showing statistics again for the problematic host and its VMs.

Will monitor my next upgrade to see if this is really a 'required step' after a host upgrade.

Cheers,

Dave.

0 Kudos