VMware Cloud Community
sgorham
Contributor
Contributor

Some kind of reporting utility?

Hey folks. I am pulling my hair out right now because people rename vm's and then it is difficult to tell which .vmdk file belongs to what on the SAN.. So, is there some kind of report capability in Vmware that will tell me which .vmdk files belong to which vm's and which disks? If not, are there any utilities out there I should look at?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

well, you could use the edit settings option of the VM itself to get this information under the options tab, but with a lot of VM's that would take some time.

Veeam Reporter is a good option as well... You can dowload a trial version.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion

This is a standard to rename a VM from Duncan

There are a couple of ways to rename a Virtual Machine, but there are two in my opinion that stand out:

1. Shutdown the VM# Rename the VM in VirtualCenter# Migrate the VM and move it to another Datastore# done!

And from the service console:

1. vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm/vmold.vmx# mv /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-old /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new# cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new# vmkfstools -E vm-old.vmdk vm-new.vmdk# find . -name ‘.vmx' -print -exec sed -e 's/vm-old/vm-new/g' {} \;# mv vm-old.vmx vm-new.vmx
    for every file that hasn't been renamed (.vmsd etc.)# vmware-cmd -s register /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new/vm-new.vmx# done!If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
    Regards,
    Stefan Nguyen
    iGeek Systems Inc.
    VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos