VMware Cloud Community
MarioC
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris Guest OS Customization

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to use a Customization Specification XML file for a Solaris 10 x86 guest (32bit or 64bit)? When deploying from a template, the option is greyed out - but this works with Linux (SLES 9 and 10) using an XML file and the provided open source custom image scripts.

Wondering if it is possible at all for Solaris or if anyone has managed to script this (instead of using manual sys-unconfigure), the custom image scripts on the VC server seem to have something for Sun OS but don't know to utilise these or if it's just not supported yet.

For info, using ESX3.5 U1 and VC2.5 U1. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried both 32 and 64-bit. I personally have never seen this available, nor have I come across any threads to that effect. It may be available in the future, but to be sure, you could open an SR for it with vmware. Post back here if you do so others are aware of it as well.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

The customonization option is greyed out for both 32 and 64 bit Solaris 10 x86. Your best option is to use kickstart.

HTH

Mike

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kickstart = RHEL

Jumpstart = Solaris

0 Kudos
MarioC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies. I'd rather not have to build the OS from scratch with Jumpstart every time, but instead take advantage of the use of templates and have a consistent method of VM provisioning across all platforms (if possible of course). It looks like that's not possible currently so I've sent a note to our VMware support representative and will let you know the outcome.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

We deploy Solaris 10 from a template - we run sys-unconfig on the template before saving the server as a template.

When we stand up a new server, we deploy from the template - we have to configure server name, IP address, subnet, etc but we aren't rebuilding the system from scratch. The Oracle DBAs then convert the deafult install to support the designated database instance.

We bring the template online whenever we apply patches - the template is patched first - we verify that everything works. Then we patch the other servers.

The longest part of the process is the cloning from template - answering the configuration questions takes a couple of minutes.

HTH

Mike

MarioC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mike - that's actually a pretty good description of how we do it now, the sys-unconfig method works fairly well but would like the process automated end to end if possible.

0 Kudos