VMware Cloud Community
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Snapshots of vCenter VM itself

Hello - I was wondering if anyone could comment on the benefits/dangers of snapshots of the VM hosting vCenter?

Specifically, if the SQL database is remote, how does a rollback of a snaphost of vCenter affect DB operations/consistency?

In my case, I have add-ons like View Composer that I would like to add without fear of losing a good config.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Rolling back a a snapshot on vCenter shouldn't impact the remote database in any way. vCenter is essentially a stateless app that talks back to the database (i'm greatly oversimplifying it here) - On more than one occasion, I've built an entirely new vCenter server and pointed it to an existing database without any issues. Rolling back a snapshot wouldn't be much different from that.

All vCenter does is talk to the database - it'll read data from the tables, and when you make a change, it will write to the database based on what's already there.

Hope that helps,

-jk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Rolling back a a snapshot on vCenter shouldn't impact the remote database in any way. vCenter is essentially a stateless app that talks back to the database (i'm greatly oversimplifying it here) - On more than one occasion, I've built an entirely new vCenter server and pointed it to an existing database without any issues. Rolling back a snapshot wouldn't be much different from that.

All vCenter does is talk to the database - it'll read data from the tables, and when you make a change, it will write to the database based on what's already there.

Hope that helps,

-jk

0 Kudos
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the note. It made sense that it was essentially a stateless conduit to a DB backend...I just didn't want to assume anything.

Phil

0 Kudos