VMware Cloud Community
ThomasMcCarroll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshots of Citrix XenApp servers take forever to take and delete

Have been running into a situation that occurs more often than not. 

VCSA 6.7

Guest OS: Windows 2016

Application: Citrix XenApp 7.15

We have about 70 Guests running Windows Server 12 and 16.   We do monthly maintenance and take snapshots before we apply updates/reboots.  Out of our 70 guests 12 of them are XenApp servers running XenApp 7.15.  About 3/4 of the time these servers take an inordinate amount of time to take a snapshot and even longer deleting the snapshots.   When this issue arises  we lose access to the system except through the console until the snaps are finished deleting.  The other 58 servers don't ever experience this issue.   

I cannot find any rhyme nor reason as to why this happens.  The environment does not change the only commonality is that this only happens to my XenApp servers.  

Does anyone have ANY idea why this would be??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do your snapshots include the state of the memory?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do your snapshots include the state of the memory?

0 Kudos
ThomasMcCarroll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Negative.  We do not snap the memory or quiesce.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd start by comparing the virtual machine log files of "quick" VMs to "slow" VMs regarding snap creation and deletion.

0 Kudos
ThomasMcCarroll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

daphnissov

Actually I think you were correct in your first post!  Responsibility for snapshot for maintenance was handed over to a junior and after speaking with him have learned he HAS NOT removed the check mark for backing up system memory so I'm pretty sure this explains it.

Will make sure during next months cycle.

Thank you!

0 Kudos