VMware Cloud Community
CBrienen
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshots are created out of the blue...

Dear all,

My situation is as following: 2 ESXi 3.5 servers with each 9 VM's and 1 ESX 3.5 server with 3 VM's. I am running VC 2.5 to manage the servers.

The servers are snapshotted every day via the great Ghettovcb script of William Lam. Everything is running fine.

There is only one strange thing. Once in the 2 months (exact on 23rd of the month) something starts snapshotting the VM's in Virtual Center.

When I look in the snapshot manager, every server has a snapshot gained out of the blue. Last time I noticed it in time an discovered some vmkftools process running on the ESXi servers.

When I killed that process, it stopped snapshotting that specific VM. There is no scheduled taks running in VC or on any server and I cannot find any crontab job running on the ESXi servers.

So what is starting these snapshots on that specific time?

Can anyone tell me the answer?

Thanks,

CB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Are you running a back up utility like VCB? How about Update Manager?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
CBrienen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reaction.

Yes the Update Manager plugin is installed but it is not running fully, because it can't connect to the internet. Is this causing the snapshots in VC?

Like I said, I only use the ghettovcb script for snapshotting to a SAN, then I back it up to tapes.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

It is possible that Update Manager is creating the snapshots, but that assumes it is working and actually being run. You will see under Update Manager - Configuration - Guest Settings it can be configured to take snapshots before applying updates. Are you use ghettovcb is not running on some schedule and is causing this?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos