VMware Cloud Community
juergen_thurau
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot problem

Hello toghether,

I've got a really big problem i think.

I've got some ESX Servers which use VCB to Backup a Suse VM as Fullbackup. In the Snapshot Manager there is still one snapshot remaining. I think I could kill this snapshot. But If i browse the datastore the is my first vmdk file and the XXX-flat.vmdk file.The is a vmsn file and two more vmdk and delta-vmdk files. One with 00001.vmdk and one with 00002.vmdk

It seems that there are 2 snapshots but there is only one snapshot in the snapshot manager. How do I can resolv these snapshots in order to work with the original vmdk file??

hope you know what I mean and you have a solution for my problem

regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like the original snapshot was possibly split across two delta files. Deleting the snapshot in the Snapshot Manager will remove the Snapshots. You do not want to delete the snapshot files as it could orphan the files and you would have to use esxutils from the command line.

0 Kudos
juergen_thurau
Contributor
Contributor

what is the comand from the cli?? i do not know esxutils

0 Kudos
surferdave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You don't need to use the CLI yet. Delete the snapshot from the snapshot manager and the snapshot files should be gone. If not, I will get you the CLI commands you need to erase an orphaned snapshot.

0 Kudos
juergen_thurau
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i've got a timeout from Virtual Center as i tried to remove the snapshot.

do you give me the cli command??

0 Kudos
doctormiru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Try this:

vmware-cmd removesnapshots

Regards

Michael

bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might also try to run the following from the VCB\Generic directory on your VCB proxy:

cscript /nologo post-command.wsf "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework"

Ben

0 Kudos
juergen_thurau
Contributor
Contributor

hi doctormiru,

thx for the help.

Your CLI command works well. It took such a long time and i was scared but it works and everything is fine now \*g*

regards

0 Kudos