VMware Cloud Community
jnpetty
Contributor
Contributor

SnS Expiration Clarification

Due to an issue outside of our control our SnS is going to expire over the weekend. I was hoping to get some verification that this should have no impact on services, such as distributed switches. Am I correct in assuming that this would only limit us from opening support requests and downloading updates?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

SnS has nothing to do with your licensing.

If this is anything like a production system you might want to renew your SnS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bahl
Contributor
Contributor

So it is safe to say if there is a lapse in keeping the SnS current on the production system, functional services like vDS and vSAN should not be impacted other than obtaining support and access to software upgrades/patches? 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

In a nutshell, if your license are "permanent", not "term" (or subscription) then yes, when SNS expire nothing happens, at least this is what I have found in my personal experience.

In a production environment, letting SNS expire is never a good idea, if you run into a problem whose remedy is known only to support, then it's a mess. Ultimately, your choice, your risk.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos