VMware Cloud Community
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Slow deployment

Guys,

A customer of mine is running vCenter 4.0. They have Windows Vista template that is 25GB in size.

Their ESX servers are running vSphere and are attached to an iSCSI storage.

When they try to deploy a VM from this template, it take a very long time. It takes them about an hour to deploy it!

I have tried to convert it to VM, clone it, convert the new one back and deploy but it did not help. VM was originally imported from Workstation 6 into vCenter.

Any ideas on why it takes so long and what I could check/tweak?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Most likely is the storage disks and raid configurations and network throughput. I would check out iSCSI performance analysis to see any bottlenecks, if not I would load brand new Vista from "Create New VM" wizard just to make sure not pointing fingers from VMware Workstation 6.0 conversion process and test clone from template again to see which one is faster!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is probably related to the storage that you've got. Does it take the same amount of time to deploy a similary sized virtual machine? The guest OS type shouldn't influence how long it takes to deploy.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Most likely is the storage disks and raid configurations and network throughput. I would check out iSCSI performance analysis to see any bottlenecks, if not I would load brand new Vista from "Create New VM" wizard just to make sure not pointing fingers from VMware Workstation 6.0 conversion process and test clone from template again to see which one is faster!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have tried to create a new VM and deploy it. Seems to be the same. So the issue has to be on the storage or network side.

I have posted some info here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/227284?tstart=0

Any ideas?

Thank you for trying to help!

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If this VM is 25GB in USED space, then I am not surprised that it takes so long to deploy.

If it is just the notrmal 2 gigs, with a 25 gig disk, then you do have a problem.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's just VMs with a 25GB vmdk that have Windows XP and some apps installed.

0 Kudos
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you all!

It was a vendor iSCSI storage issue. We ended up switching to using NFS from iSCSI.

0 Kudos