VMware Cloud Community
LyleChipperson
Contributor
Contributor

Site Recovery Manager DC for Tests

I cloned a DC to our SRM testing bubble, but I can't log in to the server to confirm/change the IP address. When I attempt to logon, I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request". It appears to be more a Windows issue, but I want to find out what, if any, the work around is? Some of our recovery plans don't require connectivity to a DC, but most do.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

How are you cloning it, there is a special way your supposed to clone a DC, you can't just click clone.

0 Kudos
LyleChipperson
Contributor
Contributor

I did a straight up clone to a new VM. Can you share a URL(s) to some instructions. Thanks for responding.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Just do a google search , microsofts doc is here, but there are a few the important part is the XML and ,powershell commands

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/get-started/virtual-dc/virtualized-do...

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @LyleChipperson,

Is always not recommended to clone the Domain Controller as you can face multiple issues and it involves a lot of steps to do it in a supported way.

However maybe the issue you are facing is the next one as I can see it repeatedly in the forums: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/no-logon-servers-are-available

I presume you are doing this into the isolated network because if it is a VLAN then you can and you should install a Domain Controller in the secondary DC for recovery purposes.

0 Kudos
LyleChipperson
Contributor
Contributor

To expand on my inquiry...The DC will be in an isolated bubble environment to test functionality of servers/systems brought up at our disaster recovery site using SRM. This is isolated from our production environment.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Follow the process to clone that @sjesse put on top and check the article that I just shared with you that it can be the solution to the issue you are facing.

0 Kudos