VMware Cloud Community
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Simple questions about VC & licensing

Hi,

I've had a nice ESX 3.5 set-up for several months now and have acclimated to it for the most part. Since we have only one ESX server I have not dived into virtual center until now.

I installed the latest VC onto a VM but became confused by a couple of things.

First, it installed the vi3 client which seems exactly identical to the one i use without VC. Second, i don't see an application to run for virtual center so at thsi point i dont really know what it is although I know a few of the extras it is supposed to do.

Finally, I have the idea that I have to set my ESX server to have its licenses exported to be managed by the VC. Since i'm only on a VC 60 trial, will i be able to undo that if i decide i want to reinstall VC somewhere else or decide we don't need to pay for VC? If so how would i do that. Our ESX server is a production machine and I can't afford any downtime as a result of me dinking around with VC.

Thanks for you time and help,

Fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1) Yes the VI client the the same one for VC as for directly manaigng you ESX host

2) It runs as a service. So point your VC client at your VC server's IP rather than the ESX host and you will see all the extra VC stuff

3) You can stick with host based licensing if you want - no need to switch over.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1) Yes the VI client the the same one for VC as for directly manaigng you ESX host

2) It runs as a service. So point your VC client at your VC server's IP rather than the ESX host and you will see all the extra VC stuff

3) You can stick with host based licensing if you want - no need to switch over.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! I've already connected and see the VC stuff. Now to start playing around.

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
Nitroburn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The client which was installed during the VC setup is the same client as you are currently rusing to connect directly to your ESX server. However, in the host field, you would point the client to the server name which is running Virtual Center, rather then the ESX host itself. There really isn't an "application" to run... it's just the VI client, per say.

Your current ESX must must be using HOST BASED licensing. You can switch over to allow VC to license the host and at the end of the 60 trial, you would simply use your VI client to connect to the host, and reapply the local license.

Probably one of the biggest gains you'll get by running VC on a single host is the ability to clone VM's and utilize custom configuration settings with Window's Sysprep integration directly from the VI client. There are some other bell's and whistle's you'll notice in the interface which has more options then simply connecting directly to the host, but more of them you will not be able to fully use with only one host (but it will give you the urge to purchase another host and really dive into what ESX & VC really has to offer!

Enjoy

Mike