VMware Cloud Community
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should vCenter be joined to the domain?

Is there a reason to join vCenter to the domain? I dont mean the Windows server that it runs on but within vCenter itself? The Windows server is already part of the domain. I just took the VMware class and remember there being a setting within vCenter to join the domain or something similar but I cant find it. Can someone tell me where that setting is and what exactly its used for?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can setup vCenter Server on a host which is member of a domain or not. It's not a setting in vCenter itself. Depending on your needs you may decide what to do. If you think of using e.g. VMware View in the future then the server has to be a member of the domain.

André

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you say on a host which is member of a domain do you mean you can have an ESX host as a domain member?

Do you know where that setting in vCenter is for joining a domain or was I just imagining it?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you don't join vCenter to the domain.  vCenter is installed onto a domain member server.  You don't need to "join" ESXi to the domain by you can.  It won't truly be in your AD, you'll still need to manually create DNS records, but...

Configuration Tab of ESXi Host--Authentication Services--Properties

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What I meant by "host" in this case is the Windows Server on which you install vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So what is the benefit of changing that setting from local authentication to active directory under directory services authentication?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Where do you see this setting? AFAIK this is only available for the ESX(i) hosts, not for vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its right where Troy pointed out in vCenter

Configuration Tab of ESXi Host--Authentication Services--Properties

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021970 for more details

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is for the ESX(i) host itself (not for the vCenter Server),  if you want to be able to connect toe the ESX(i) hosts directly using the vSphere Client.

André

0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was talking about the ESX server joining the domain. Thats what I was unclear about. I know you can connect directly to a host with the client to manage it. That article answers my question for the most part.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wasisnt wrote:

I was talking about the ESX server joining the domain. Thats what I was unclear about. I know you can connect directly to a host with the client to manage it. That article answers my question for the most part.

You might try being more clear with your subject heading because it CLEARLY states " ...vCenter be joined to the domain".  You are mixing different subjects.  If you want to use vCenter yes it SHOULD be on the domain.  vCenter is a service.  ALL windows services use the base OS to authenticate, programs don't actually authenticate they utilize Windows authentication.  So if your server is joined / authenticated / member of the domain the apps installed on that server will ALSO authenticate via Windows by default.

ESX the server (where the VMs live) do NOT need to be on the domain, and if they are managed BY vCenter they don't need to be, vCenter takes care of the Authentication.  Making an ESX host a member server is for stand alone servers, but it's not usually something you NEED to do.  I am not even sure there is a benefit except in some datacenters you can't update DNS unless you are properly authenticated.

Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was thinking that when I was creating the post but didn't really know what I was asking until I found out where that setting was and got that link that explained what that setting did. I just remembered there being a setting when I was in the class and figured I should find out if it was something I needed to do.

0 Kudos