VMware Cloud Community
swasheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should I put my VCenter Database on a server with other enterprise databases

My sysadmin is reinstalling VCenter and would like to put the VCenter database on the db server that has all of the other enterprise databases (ERP, advancement, etc.). I'm not convinced that this is a good idea and was wondering if there would be a significant performance hit brought about by this addition.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So by remote are you saying that the DB server should be specifically dedicated to the vCenter database?

no, you are just adding another DB instance to your SQL Server. Why would the VCDB be treated any differently. There is no need to build out an entire SQL Server for one DB instance, especially if you already have an existing DB Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on the contrary, the VCDB, in my opinion, should be on a remote Enterprise SQL Server. Having a remote DB instance is the preferred method.

0 Kudos
swasheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So by remote are you saying that the DB server should be specifically dedicated to the vCenter database?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, you are just adding another DB instance to your SQL Server. Why would the VCDB be treated any differently. There is no need to build out an entire SQL Server for one DB instance, especially if you already have an existing DB Server.

0 Kudos
swasheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks. I just want to make sure that the users of the other applications that use the DB server won't be affected.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks. I just want to make sure that the users of the other applications that use the DB server won't be affected.

not at all, completely isolated. That's part of the beauty of SQL 2005 and above. What happens to one DB instance would have no impact on any other instance on the DB Server.

swasheck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool. So you'd advocate separate Sql instance on the same server.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes