VMware Cloud Community
dnalencastre
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing the Virtualcenter server with another application.

I've read the installation documentation and didn't find anything

preventing me to use the Virtual center server (physical, not a VM)

with another application (in this case, a backup server).

Do you see any significant problems with this ?

Thanks,

Duarte

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CCI-VI
Contributor
Contributor

probably not the best idea. i wouldn't risk another app to crash for even slow it down.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Agree with CC-VI, especially a backup server, that should be on it's own server anyway, definately not on the VC machine.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would agree with everyone else, that box should stay basically a straight Virtual Center box. Kinda like putting a blackberry server directly on the exchange server... if you have to do work on the side application and it needs to be restarted, or slows the box down or whatever, you'll need to restart the Virtual Center. It may not be in the documentation clearly but it's basically best practice to keep it separate.

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VirtualCenter and VCB cannot co-exist on the same host, due to very real application conflicts. Other than that, there theoretically shouldn't be any problems.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

I believe the release notes for the most recent version of VCB permit it to be installed on the VC server. Having said that, like everything in IT, what you do in your environment depends on your environment and your uptime / SLA requirements.

Given that you emphasized that VC is on a physical rather then virtual host I would assume that you have a decent number of host and VMs, and presumable a few admins who would have VIC running and therefore notice that VC was down because someone was debugging a backup problem.

VC can be off line with minimal impact to your virtual world, you lose DRS and statistics, and obviously the ability to make changes, but the VMs are still up and running.

Personally the only other thing running on my physical VC server is the SQL DB backing it, and frankly I'd prefer to have the DB on a cluster but we don't have any. My VC and VCB servers are way over powered, but given that there hardware came from systems that were virtualized I try not loose sleep over it.

It is very to look at them and be tempted to shoe horn in another application, but then you'd be faced with the issue a cow-orker of mine has who is trying to undo such shoehorning and it is consuming a significant amount of time, and time = money.

0 Kudos