VMware Cloud Community
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Share a datastore with a VM, is it possible?

Hello everyone,

I have 3 datastores setup on the vCenter: A, B and C

I installed Windows Server 2019 on datastore A.

I create a folder called DATA1 on datastore B and DATA2 on datastore C

Now I want the Windows Server to be able to "use" the DATA1 and DATA2 as a storage. Is it possible?

Thank you for your patience

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Folders on VMFS datastores? What’s your use case? What data would be in the folders?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Scott28tt,

Back to my original post, so the Windows server 2019 is installed on datastore A, which is a RAID1, 600GB SSD so it is runninf out of space pretty soon

The datastore B, is RAID1, 1TB and datastore C, also RAID1, 2.4TB

So I was thinking, if I can use some space of the datastore B and C to store the data generated from the WS2019?

So, what do you suggest? I am totally newbie to the ESXi though so I am open up to anything until I firmly grasp the concept

Thank you again

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The way to solve that requirement is to create one, or more additional virtual disks for the Windows 2019 VM on the two datastores, and copy the data from the first virtual disk to the new ones from within the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi a_p_,

How do I create Virtual disks for the Windows 2019 VM on the two datastores?

When I go to the the Windows 2019 VM -> Edit -> Add Hard drive --> I can only add another hard dirve (supposed it would be "virtual disk) from the Datastore A. I did not see any option to add HDD from datastore B or C?

Could you please elaborate your instruction, step-by-step if possible, please?

Thank you

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Is this one esxi host or more than one, if so datastores with local disks can only be seen on the esxi host the vm runs on.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> When I go to the the Windows 2019 VM -> Edit -> Add Hard drive --> I can only add another hard dirve (supposed it would be "virtual disk) from the Datastore A.

Once you open the new hard disks settings, you'll see a Browse button right to the recommended/default location.

André

Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Q: When I go to the the Windows 2019 VM -> Edit -> Add Hard drive --> I can only add another hard dirve (supposed it would be "virtual disk) from the Datastore A. I did not see any option to add HDD from datastore B or C?

Add new HD and change the location as highlighted and Browse and select the datastore you want . 

Ajay1988_0-1630077017594.png

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos