VMware Cloud Community
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting up HA

I have 3 ESX 3.5 host and trying to setup HA. I have a VM i want to run mostly on one of the ESX servers host. Now if that goes down HA would bring it up on any of the other two servers. But if the ESX host running that VM comes back up, I would like that VM to automatically migrate back to that ESX Host. Can I setup something like that? And How?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sure.. You can initially migrate them to seperate hosts, if they are not already, then using the DRS rule, disable DRS for those VM's, that will keep the two VM's seperate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is nothing in VI 3 that will allow you to do thatother than scripting something -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Under Cluster Settings and VMWare HA there is Advanced Options. What is that?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was told by a VMware Instructor awhile back that the Advanced Options buttons is for future release and is not usable in the current version. She could be right or wrong, I don't know?

I don't know of anyone who uses the advanced option, but someone may be able to help shed more light.

Now you can always pin a VM to a particular host, if that is something you are looking to do

TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With Pinning, if that host goes down will it migrate automaticlly to another host? and back on its own when that host comes back up?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pinning the VM to a host is a DRS rule. It will keep the VM on a particular HOST. If an HA even kicks in, that VM will be powered up on a different HOST, but will not move back to it's original, because of the DRS rule.

0 Kudos
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What if I have two VM that I always want to be on seprate Host. Can I setup something to do that?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sure.. You can initially migrate them to seperate hosts, if they are not already, then using the DRS rule, disable DRS for those VM's, that will keep the two VM's seperate.

0 Kudos
TommyFCP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And if HA kicks in, they will always be separate?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not necessarily... HA does not use DRS rules. It just puts the VM's where resources are available.

0 Kudos