VMware Cloud Community
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Set stateless caching to San disk

I have a question about Auto deploy and stateless caching.

I want to install all servers with auto deploy (which already works with stateless), but now i want to make it a stateless caching envoiroment. I have connected a 5GB SAN lun to the server (and about 40 more 🙂 ). How do i set the location of the cashing in my host profile.

I looked in the install guide and found this

1 In the vSphere Web Client, create a host profile.

See the Host Profiles documentation.

2 Select the host profile and click Edit Host Profile.

3 Leave the name and description and click Next.

4 Click Advanced Configuration Settings and click the System Image Cache Configuration folder.

5 Click the System Image Cache Configuration icon.

Arguments for first disk By default, the system attempts to replace an existing ESXi installation, and
     then attempts to write to the local disk.
     You can use the Arguments for first disk field to specify a comma-separated
     list of disks to use, in order of preference. You can specify more than one
     disk. Use esx for the first disk with ESX installed on it, use model and vendor
     information, or specify the name of the vmkernel device driver. For example,
     to have the system first look for a disk with the model name ST3120814A,
     second for any disk that uses the mptsas driver, and third for the local disk,
     specify ST3120814A,mptsas,local as the value of this field.
But as often is the case with the install guide is is not complete, it does not mention SAN disks. Also it give a * at the Arguments for first disk, but there is no help button that can be used (web client scks).
If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mohan1403
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sarek,

Even I faced the same problem. You can use the syntax: "remote, <identifer>"

eg: "remote, mpx.vmhba0:C0:T0:L0"

Thanks,

Mohan

0 Kudos