VMware Cloud Community
normcar
Contributor
Contributor

Server Disconnected from Virtual Center

Hi,

First post here and relatively new administrator of the VMWare Infrastructure. We have several servers that are in a disconnected state in virtual center. In the past when I got that I performed the following steps and it would rectify the problem but this time it is not working any suggestions?

This is what I normally try :

Disconnect and remove the ESX from VC.

Restart the virtualcenter service on the VC server.

Check the name of the vpxa rpm: rpm -qa | grep -i vpx.

Remove the vpx rpm: e.g. rpm -e VMware-vpxa

Remove any vpxuser: userdel -r vpxuser

service mgmt-vmware restart

check with top that there is no rogue hostd process > 90%.

if rogue hostd process exists, kill the process and restart mgmt-vmware again

Check that /etc/hosts has the FQDN and shortname listed for the service console IP address(in lowercase).

Add the ESX host into VC using the FQDN in lowercase letters

Any information would be great...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rmitchell9
Contributor
Contributor

just wondering if they are disconnected or not responding...

and what version esx and vc ... not that I can be any help, but it may help others help you...

0 Kudos
normcar
Contributor
Contributor

ESX version 3.0.2

VC version 2.0

0 Kudos
Renegade25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

normcar,

Have you checked your dns settings/hosts file on the server? This seems like a communication issue. Do you use fqdn when adding esx servers?

0 Kudos
vmware-eq-suppo
Contributor
Contributor

posted as incorrect user. Moderator please remove this response.

0 Kudos
CDRippe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Something you might try:

service mgmt-vmware stop
service vmware-vmkauthd stop
service xinetd restart
service vmware-vmkauthd start
service mgmt-vmware start

This is the exact process that occurs when rebooting.

A couple of questions. Are your hosts "disconnected" or "not responding"? Can you get to the affected host with the VIC? Is this a recurring issue with you or is this the first time?

C. D. Rippe

0 Kudos
normcar
Contributor
Contributor

My servers appear as disconnected and yes it is a recurring issue with the infrastructure. It happens somewhat frequently on different servers. I haven't been able to isilate it to one specific server. My DNS settings are all correct and yes I use the FQDN to add the server to VC. I am also able to manage the server directly using VIC.

0 Kudos
rmitchell9
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
CDRippe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The fact that you can still manage the Host server via the VIC is very good news. As you have eluded to twice you obviously understand the criticality of the DNS entries in the /etc/hosts file. However, another critical issue is time synchronization. Have you checked the time on each host server and in VC?

C. D. Rippe

0 Kudos