VMware Cloud Community
dacdev
Contributor
Contributor

Separate or combined vCenter Server for vSphere and View?

Hi. Apologies if this has already been covered.

I have implemented vSphere 4.0.1 with vCenter Server 4.0.1 on a physical server and a remote SQL database, with 4 ESX4 hosts & a dedicated volume on a shared datastore.

I now have to implement View 4.0.1 as well into this environment, using a separate dedicated volume on the same shared datastore and 4 other ESX 4 hosts.

What I think I want to do is manage both vSphere and View environments using the same vCenter Server by creating a second Datacenter for the View 4 hosts.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

It is a good Idea, because otherwise you would have to buy another vCenter license Smiley Wink

Since you only got a small infrastructure you should be ok because you won't hit the limits of VMs and Hosts of vCenter.

Regards

dacdev
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks schepp. I hadn't thought of the licence issue.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

+1 for the good idea. You save on licensing, on maintenance, etc.

It's a good idea to have a backup of you vCenter in case things go wrong when integrating View with vCenter.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are also good reasons to separate the two environments. My thoughts are noted in this recent discussion thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1594353#1594353

Depending on how you license View, running an alternate vCenter may not cost you anything and provides some flexibility.

0 Kudos