VMware Cloud Community
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

Microsoft released Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) on October patch Tuesday. It fails to install on the SQL Express 2005 SP3 SQLEXP_VIM instance on my VMware vCenter Server, as well as on some other servers running SQL Express 2005 SP3 with other products, e.g. Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 media servers, HP Digital Sending Software 4.0. Various forum posts found by Google suggest that having any of the SQL Server services disabled may cause this problem. In my case, the only disabled service is SQL Server Active Directory Helper. This service can be set to manual, but it will not start, and just setting it to manual doesn't solve the problem. These posts also suggest that having the SQL Server program folder compressed can cause the error, but this is not applicable to my situation.

I took a look at the Windows Update log and other than an error message with the return code 0x0000737d, I didn't see any useful information. I also looked at the hotfix installation log at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_sql.msp.log, and found the error message: "Error 29565. SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance HPDSDB and complete the setup."

The description of this security update at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892, in the More Information section, lists four TechNet articles with troubleshooting procedures for known issues. Article 955250 seems like it may be applicable, although the error message doesn't match. I'm still trying to work through this.

The security update is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0d878f4b-71e8-4170-9a14-1bce684811ce&displa... for anybody who does not wish to rely on Windows Update.

Thanks for any additional thoughts that anyone may have.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

I would rerun sp3 manaully, and it will tell you if setup operations are pending.

Then manually try the hotfix again

based on:

"Error 29565. SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the

specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start

the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the

Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL

instance HPDSDB and complete the setup."

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It isn't a question of reapplying SQL 2005 SP3, as the original installation of SQL Express 2005 had this service pack integrated into the installer. I've pursued this issue a little further since your reply and have attempted to follow the recommendations in the Error 29565 message. Using Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) to Change the SQL 2005 Intallation gets stuck due to lack of access to the original SQL Express 2005 SP3 installation files. When these are provided, it gets stuck later on complaining as follows: "[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server] Password Validation failed. The password does not meet the Windows policy requirements because it is too short.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again." It isn't clear what password is the problematic one. I've opened a case with Microsoft and will post the result here. If others arrive at a solution sooner, thanks in advance for sharing that information in this thread.

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am having the same issue with this security patch. I have opened a support case with MS, from my research a lot of people have been having the same problem with this patch.

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I figured it out. Do the following to fix the problem...

Start- add/remove programs / select your ms sql server install / click change / once the server is done collecting information you will have an option to click "FINISH HUNG INSTALLATION"/ click next and next and let it do its thing. Once this is complete re-run the update and you should be fixed. If you go to c:/program files / ms sql / 90 / log / hot fix / and view the latest hotfix error log file you will see the message as to why your install is failing like it is.

Should fix it for you.

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I tried this, but it didn't work. See above my post on Oct 17, 2009 11:07 PM. Still waiting for a response from Microsoft TS.

0 Kudos
massmans
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried all the above with no luck also. Please let me know if anyone finds a resolution.

BTW, we only have this problem on our development vCenter server that is still pointing to its included SQL express DB. Our production SQL servers (production vCenter points here) didnt have this issue.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming your production servers are running SQL 2005 Standard or Enterprise SP3 and not SQL 2005 Express, I concur. The patch installed with no problems on our SQL 2005 Standard SP3 x86 server. The problem appears to be confined to SQL 2005 Express SP3. The underlying operating system, Windows Server 2003 or 2008, doesn't seem to matter, although I have tried this only on x86, not x64. Jeff.

0 Kudos
massmans
Contributor
Contributor

Correct our production servers are full SQL 2005 standard on 2003 server.

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft has clarified its support policy, and SQL Express 2005 is supported in our virtual environment on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 guest and VMware vSphere host. Microsoft has helpful reference as to exactly which virtualized environments they will support. See the "Server Virtualization Validation Program" wizard at .

In this case Microsoft made the following recommendation, which did successfully resolve the issue. To summarize the earlier post, the security update KB970892 failed to install because the original installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 did not run to a final completion, even though there was no indication of any problem during the original installation process. The fix is as fpllows:

• Open the Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features) control panel,.

• Select Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and click Change.

• Select the database engine component.

• Allow the system configuration check to complete.

• Then choose Complete the suspended installation.

• You may get the error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "SqlRun_SQL.msi' in the box below." This means that the installer needs access to the original installation files.

• In this case download SQL Express 2005 SP3 from .

• Execute SQLEXPR.EXE /x and extract the installation files to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Baseline Cache\Express\SP3. This is the location recommended by the article , but the location may not really matter.

• Provide this path in response to the error dialog above.

• Installation will continue, but you may encounter an additional error "(Microsoft) (SQL Native Client) (SQL Server) Password Validation failed. The password does not meet the Windows policy requirements because it is too short.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again."

• To correct this problem, open the Registry Editor.

• Locate the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\Parameters. Note that it may be MSSQL.2 or some other instance number instead of 1.

• Create a string (REG_SZ) value named SQLArg3 and set the data to "-T4606" (no quotes).

• In response to the error message, cancel the installation and allow it to roll back. Then try the installation again.

• Once the suspended installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 runs to a successful completion, the KB970892 security patch should install successfully.

I'll be interested to hear from others how this works for them.

0 Kudos
gordho
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to successfully install KB970892 with jaspain's solution, thanks. I am curious if this is a widespread issue or if it is only happening on a few systems. Also, I wonder what could be causing SQL Express to think that the install did not finish properly when it is clearly up and running with no problems. Isn't SQL Express installed automatically during the install of VC?

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It is not accoring to your problem, but as I see you have running your sql on an vm.

Couls you quick post me the config of your server?

-RAM

-vCPU

-users access the Server

Are you satisfyed with the performance?

Thank you!!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2 Gb RAM, 2 vCPU, 1 user accessing occasionally, no performance problems. Suggest you start a new thread to sollicit further input on this tangentially related issue.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thx!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
86init6
Contributor
Contributor

jaspin...thank you very much for posting this for all to see. The registry value did the trick.

take care.

0 Kudos