VMware Cloud Community
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

Search tool in vCenter Timing Out

The search feature in my Virtual Center quit working after upgrading to U1. I can't say for sure that's exactly when it stopped but I know it worked before. It accepts search criteria but I get an "Operation timed out" after a minute or so (The General timeout value is 200 seconds but this is much less time than that)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason White - VCP

0 Kudos
5 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert

I forget which part is usually also broke, but look at the performance overviews and/or hardware status to see if they're working, too. If not, check the web managment service and if it's working, then search on or post the error from the broken view tabs.

0 Kudos
cchesley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Jason,

I do not know what is wrong with your search in VC. Here is a link to a free virtual appliance that will give you google like searches for your virtual environment.

SearchMyVM

Chris

http://www.vkernel.com
0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Jason,

Could you be more precise on your query. Are you sticking with basic search or you are using advance search in VIC....And what you are searching for...VM Name, property etc...

Thanks

Ramesh. Geddam

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

@Chris. This appliance is great. However when searching through multiple vCenter instances and finding your guest, it would also be useful if, along with all the information you get, you could also get the instance of vCenter in which the guest is registered in.

..but yes, it's free so i can't complain too loudly

0 Kudos
Langly
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue. The vCenter client (formerly known as the VIC) was upgraded after we updated our Test vCenter server. However, the Search tool times out when connected to my Production vCenter (which was NOT upgraded to 4.1). We have a large environment (~1000 VMs), so I depend on the search tool daily to quickly pull up any VM I need to work on.

Any real fixes here besides a free tool?? Thanks!

0 Kudos