VMware Cloud Community
mrweetman
Contributor
Contributor

Search for virtual machine - not complete answer

Hi,

In VC, when you search for VM's in a cluster (hosts and clusters - Virtual Machine tab - search) I sometime receive incomplete answers to the query. Here's an example..

We have a naming standard which contains the customer name and function of the server (fex custweb001.domain.com). But when doing a more open search - f.ex custweb - Virtual Center often returns only custweb001 and custwebexternal001 but not custwebinternal001.

(These are only example names but they are valid for this question)

We have an internal CMDB which had a similar trait some time ago, it turned out to be a bug in the SQL query in the app

Known bug or something else?

VC version is 4.1

Regards

Marius Aulie

0 Kudos
6 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

I just tried that kind of search in both vCenter Server 4.0U1 and U2 and it does work as expected. Maybe it's something to do with 4.1 or a DB query like you said.

We need someone running VC 4.1 to try and tell us.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
mrweetman
Contributor
Contributor

just an update to this:

Further troubleshooting reveals that if the list of VM's are sorted (I use name, but it doesn't seem to matter) a couple of times the search reveals the full answer. I guess that there is some caching going on here (perhaps to give a fast response to the virtual machine list) but the cache is not fully updated with the result list, you need to jog it a bit by sorting the list a couple of times. Soo it seems like a bug to me

vmware has been notified through our TAM

Also I am not sure if this is a alters with scale. My vCenter contains ~1500 vm's with the largest clusters containing ~300 vm's

-Marius

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

I am seeing this same thing.  I think you are right, it is a cache'ing issue.  You can also scroll to the bottom of the list slowly and it accomplishes the same thing as sorting it differently a few times.  I wonder if there is a fix for this?

Matthew

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
mrweetman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply, it's good to get some feedback from someone who experiences the same problem.

This has been a issue for us since 4.0. I believe a fix was included in the 4.1 update, but for me that only improved the situation. The problem still remained.

For now the workaround -with sorting the VM list-  is fine and I would rather use my time preparing for the vSphere5 upgrade Smiley Happy than troubleshooting minor (but annoying) search issues.

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Do you have multiple version of vSphere client installed? check this http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1034506

Regards,
Arun

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Regards, Arun VCP3/4, HPCP, HP UX CSA http://kb.vmware.com/

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Hey F10,

I found that KB, and I tried installing the client on a server that never had any clients installed.  I installed only the current version and the issue still exists.  So I believe this KB won't be helpful.

I appreciate your feedback though!

Matthew

Kaizen!
0 Kudos