VMware Cloud Community
amitb79
Contributor
Contributor

Search Option is not working in vcenter

Hello experts i am having the below issue during search for any of the VM's  so any idea what is wrong and needs to be fixed .

pastedImage_1.png

Apart from this i was gng through that - VMware KB: Searching for a virtual machine using the vCenter Server search option fails with error: ... and it was mentioned that i need to enter the FQDN name of the VM center along with port BUT here when i am entering those details it's not getting saved ? do not know so any clue why is that so ? and hhow to fix the search option . Thanks

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does this problem happen on the vCenter server? or just a remote client system? If it doesn't run, then it shouldn't be a problem with DNS (as it should be able to resolve itself).

check the Inventory service to see if ts running. Try setting the 'VMware vCenter Inventory Service' to logon on as a domain account (service account) and restart.

0 Kudos
amitb79
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this problem happen on the vCenter server it self , inventory service showing running only but when i try to logon through web client their it's showing not running unable to fetch the inventory..and this was working few days back now suddenly having this issues.

If i will restart the inventory service on affected vCenter does that harm anything as i have other vcenter servers also which are in linked mode but i observed this search issue on one particular vcenter.

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No - restarting the inventory service will not affect anything within the vCenter Server. It will continue to run as normally as it is now, though you may need to log off/log on after the restart to see if the restart worked - or have someone else log in after the restart to see if it works for them.

0 Kudos
amitb79
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry when i tried to reset it then it gone for a toss, server hung and did not came up. There was an issue with inventory service.

How i fixed that : - need to reinstall the same and then reconnect it to the Database. The DB which exist on the vcenter server it self the below URL will help with reconnection.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=204220...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos