VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scheduling VCSA 6.0 database backup?

I recently upgraded from vCenter 5.5 on Windows, with MS SQL database, to the VCSA 6.0 u3b. Previously, backing up the SQL database was easy; we use EMC Networker, and I just added the SQL server to the scheduled backup list.

But how can I do that with the VCSA 6.0? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that I need to use a Python script to create a set of backup files (on the VCSA itself), and manually transfer them (using SCP) somewhere else. And then (I suppose) I can schedule the backup of that target server, along with all the other clients..

So how are others handling this? Scheduling an automatic backup of the VCSA database, using an enterprise backup system (such as Networker, BackupExec, etc), so that it is backed up like all other clients.

On a regular Linux client, I might use cron to run the scripts (although I would need other scripts to clean up the folder, so it doesn't consume all the space). Can I do that on a VCSA? Is there even a built in way to SCP/FTP the files off to somewhere else?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Most don't worry about backing up the database. Just backup the vCSA appliance itself and be done with it. Any application using VADP is supported for backing up the vCSA, and quiescence isn't needed. What's not ok is installing any sort of backup agent inside the vCSA, so something like Networker can't be used in that mode.

0 Kudos