VMware Cloud Community
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scheduled tasks not starting after schedule

Hello all,

Stuck with Scheduled tasks. Googled, RTFM'd, searched forums - nothing.

Tested on vCenter 4.1 and on a 5.0. Logged on as Administrator, vSphere Client runs as administrator etc.

This happens:

- Create scheduled task (tested both power on VM and storage vMotion)

- Set task to run once, at a time

- Nothing happens at that time

If I click run it properly executes the task.

One thing that struck med was that ESXi 4.1 has UTC time, vCenter and my client is two hours ahead. But I cannot schedule a time in the past. I must be able to schedule tasks in a shorter time window than 2 hours. So no luck there.

I also went through vCenter settings, client settings without finding anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

/B

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NinjaHideout
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would make sure that all hosts and the vCenter have synchronized time (incl. timezone).

You can adjust the host's time from the vSphere client (select Host > Configuration > Time Configuration).

0 Kudos
BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, but vCenter (via Active Directory) and all the ESXi 4.1 hosts are syncing against the same NTP server. And since we only have ESXi hosts time zone cannot be set, it's converted from UTC in the vSphere Client.

Any other suggesions on why scheduled tasks does not start automatically?

thanks

/Björn

0 Kudos
NinjaHideout
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just tested this with VC5 and ESXi 5. The task was triggered about 30 seconds after the host's time (as seen from the vSphere client) reached the scheduled time.

Can you confirm that even a few minutes after the scheduled time, the task is still not triggered?

BjornJohansson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange, it seems just to be working now. With some delay, but witin the minute. Earlier tests went several minutes after schedule.

Well, thanks for you help!

0 Kudos