VMware Cloud Community
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scheduled Task question

I've set up some VM's to shutdown via scheduled tasks in Virtual Center. However I want to setup a scheduled task to power them on, but when I go through the wizard all I can do is select the cluster instead of a specific host. I need these VM's to boot up on a specific host and not any other on the cluster for other reasons. Can I do this? ARe some DRS settings interfering with this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert

when I go through the wizard all I can do is select the cluster instead of a specific host.

Do you mean "All you can do is select the cluster instead of the specific VM"? I've got a couple of VMs scheduled to power on then shut down in the middle of the night and the schedule still runs even if DRS moves these VMs to another host.

0 Kudos
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I actually want to specify which ESX host in my cluster to power on the VM. Does it automatically assume to power on to the same ESX host or does DRS choose the best candidate is basically what I'm asking.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert

Oh, great question. I never really thought of that. If you have DRS setup as fully automatic then I suspect that it'll pick which VM to start it on. To get around this, I think you'll have to setup DRS rules. I'm not sure if you can get as granular in the rules as to which host a VM starts up on though. You can tell it which VM's to always keep on the same host or which VMs to always keep on different hosts.