VMware Cloud Community
alize77
Contributor
Contributor

Schedule Task - VM does not power on target host

I notice that the VMs do not power on, on the selected target host when I created the schedule task. Is this normal?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have DRS configured? Is it starting on a different server or not at all?

0 Kudos
alize77
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I have enable DRS and configure as partially automated. Does it mean that I need to set it as manual in order to control the VMs running on the targeted host? In the event where one of the physical machine is faulty, will it automatically swing over to another machine is the DRS is set to manual?

0 Kudos
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What I have noticed in my environment is that the VM I schedule to startup will always start on the host that is resides on regardless of where I configure it to start with Scheduled Tasks. What I mean by where it resides is what host it was on when it was last shutdown.

If you simply do a poweron with DRS in partially or fully automated mode it will automatically choose the host. As you are in partially automated mode you won't have to worry about the VM moving once it is powered on. I think you should be able to force it to power on, on the host you want by making sure when it is off that it resides on the host that matches your schedule.

-rick