VMware Cloud Community
richardt
Contributor
Contributor

Schedual a cold migration while the VM is still running

I need to cold migrate a server during the night. (no SAN)

The VM needs to run 7am to midnight.

Has anyone found a way to schedule a cold migration task with out having to shut-down the VM first and then setup the schedule task?

I am talking about the task setup, not the migration in which the VM has to be shutdown.

It would an excellent idea to have the shutdown as part of the "relocate a Virtual machine"

task.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've been using the Vizioncore Migrator..

Migrated a coupel vm's all day and let it finish the migration in the middle of the night for me.

Came into the office and they were both on the new server. plan on sheduling all the other servers next week...

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same question and asked support. The answer was to use scripting tools to shutdown the vm and then move it. I asked for an enhancement request but was told that since I could do this via scripts it wasn't going to happen.

Bill S.

0 Kudos
richardt
Contributor
Contributor

I could script it using the SDK tools, but I am not software developer and I would like it to managed within the GUI so all levels of support staff have access to it.

The support answer is poor!!. You can script all the functions the VMC can do.

I'll log the enhacement request and see what the reply is.

If any one has a script to shut-down a VM, cold migrate, and restart, please post it. Thanks

0 Kudos
madcult
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To shutdown a vm and to start it on another ESX server might be a problem. You have to write at least two scripts:

One script for shutting down the virtual machine and which "copies" the files maybe by vmkfstools to another LUN / storage. This must be run on your first ESX server. (btw. the first ESX server has to see both storages, or you have to use "scp" or sth like that)

Another script to startup a virtual machine on the new ESX server. This script must be run on your second ESX server.

So I think it would be difficult to compare these things. What you could try is to work with "remot commands" by ssh. This might help to start a script on your first ESX server which starts a command on your second ESX server.

sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm facing the same problem again...need to move a VM in the middle of the night. Did you get any response from support or did you find some other way to automate this?

Bill S.

0 Kudos
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone get a answer to this? I need to do the exact same thing.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Call me old fashioned - but can't you remote in to work and just do it yourself? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos