VMware Cloud Community
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SVMOTION

I am having some issues with the syntax for SVMOTION. This is my command = svmotion.pl --server=servername --username=me --password=a55ociate --datacenter=dc1 --vm=[LUN1]folder/file.vmx:LUN2.

When the command is executed I get the error "Could not find datastore in inventory" What am i doing wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The syntax should be the following:

svmotion.pl --server=servername --username=me --password=a55ociate --datacenter=dc1 --vm='[[LUN1]] vm1/vm1.vmx:LUN2'

Your source datastore will be encapsulated with brackets, then a space to your VM and then colon and then your target datastore which does not have brackets enclosing. I hate the forums formating so just make sure you follow that format

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The syntax should be the following:

svmotion.pl --server=servername --username=me --password=a55ociate --datacenter=dc1 --vm='[[LUN1]] vm1/vm1.vmx:LUN2'

Your source datastore will be encapsulated with brackets, then a space to your VM and then colon and then your target datastore which does not have brackets enclosing. I hate the forums formating so just make sure you follow that format

0 Kudos
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that I look closer to the documentation i see exactly what you told me. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos