I am still having problems with this. Completely clean install of VC3.5U4 in a new environment. Followed the instructions to the letter on Widnwos 2003 R2 SP2. No errors in the install process, yet I still get
STATs Repoert service internal error
Message: STATs Report application initialization is not completed successfully.
I am using SQL Server 2005 SP2 installed on the same physical box. TCP/IP is enabled. All VMware accounts are using Local System, Java variables are correct. I did this on another install last week, exactly the same setup and it worked perfectly. Any ideas?
I was slow on the uptake. I was thinking that my Java environment was up to date but you need to install the Java SE Development Kit. Not being a developer, this was software that I did not have installed. However, once I got the development kit installed and then amended the variables as per knowledgebase article 1008296, then everything worked fine. Hope this info helps others.
You are what you eat - who wants to be a lettuce?
I have (too) followed KB1008296 step-by-step and get the infamous
STATs Report service internal error / STATs Report Application initialization is not completed successfully
on the performance overview tab.
And I DID stop the Infrastructure web service as stated by KB1008296
I have tried KB1008330 to reinstall (And as said elsewhere the install.bat/uninstall.bat is in the vpx\perfcharts-folder and NOT in the bin-folder as it says in KB1008330)
I have also tried KB1008329 as I am running SQL2005 Express on the vCenter-server.
com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer : Unable to open VC DataSource. Details: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (The connection to the named instance has failed. Error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out.)
I also had this problem and I found out that my SQL Server 2005 was using a 'non-standard' TCP port (1600 instead of 1433).
I changed the TCP port back to 1433 and it started to work.
Does someone knows how I can change this setting in Tomcat as I would like to revert to 1600 TCP port.
Thank you for your answers
...and SQL Browser is running (and have been all the time). So - that is not the issue.
On a second installation it is even more strange:
5 host's, 1 vCenter - all newest builds. All host's same hardware, firmware - everything. And "performance overview" tab works fine on 1 host (And as well for the VM's running on that host), while the other 4 host's show "Chart could not be loaded".
I also had to go into SQL configuration and enable TCP/IP and make sure "Listen All" is also set to Yes.
Not sure if you already checked this but I also set the VMware Web service to run under the same user as the one I used when installing the plugin.
Weird it works for one but not others... Hope this helps.
Tried to change the serviceaccount to the domain administrator account used for installation. And tried it on both installations.
And if it had worked, I would not recommend the solution with a serviceaccount with so much power G
This performance plugin has become somewhat of a joke... I am surprised that vmware released something that was so poorly produced. This is quite possibly the worst thing that vmware ever released. Actually I take it back I am not really all that surprised being that they have started to release experimental options in their software and not giving you the option to grey them out or remove them all together.
I hope they can get their act together....
If anyone actually gets a fix to this problem it would be nice to finally see this plugin in action.
I've got the application working fine once I followed the VMware instructions. Make sure you have the environment variables on the VICenter server configured for Java and ensure you have the Java SDK installed. Not the normal Java client. That's all I did to get it working.
Sounds like we have somewhat of an answer. I am currently using a non-standard port and it is not working. I have a call open with support so hopefully they will be able to lead me in the right direction to get this to work with a non-standard port. Sounds like the installer has to account for SQL port.
I just got off the phone with support. It seems that if you use a non-standard port for SQL you cannot currently use the performance overview. They said that they should have this fixed in update 5.
Hope this saves you some time searching around...