VMware Cloud Community
asigurds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSO fails to start after upgrading to vCenter 5.1 Update 2

After trying to update the vCenter server from V5.1 U1 to U2 the SSO service fails to start. The following information is registered in the event log with event id 7031:

The vCenter Single Sign On service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

No log files are being created / updated when the service is trying to start.

Anyone had had a similar experience with the SSO service or hints on what to look for?

29 Replies
Dave338
Contributor
Contributor

For me was posible xD

I stopped ALL vmware services, not only SSO, all of them (vcenter, web interface, etc...), deleted JRE folder, and started the upgrade without problems.

If you uninstall SSO (I tried this also before knowing the JRE issue), , and install again, you must configure it, and after that, vcenter fails because the data on the SSO installation doesn't match or something like that....

Nothing else....

Regards.

0 Kudos
alexisdog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems that since the move was made away from vCenter server running on top of a Windows box and towards a standalone appliance (.ova import) the thinking is that the server is becoming like a disposable piece, like a switch or router with firmware. Export settings, then install new appliance, import settings to new configured appliance, delete old. Am I wrong about this? When does the case for upgrading a vCenter server come up where it is preferable to upgrade than just replace?

0 Kudos
NickA99
Contributor
Contributor

Going to vent my frustrations at VMware, Java and sloppy programming elsewhere, but this is how I got mine fixed:

After trying to upgrade, SSO wouldn't start.  Rebooted and same thing.  The fix is to set all VMware services to disabled, reboot your system, reset all VMware services to manual, then start the SSO upgrade but follow their instructions/fix from article 2041528:

To resolve the issue, overwrite the existing JRE folder (located in C:\Program Files\vmware\infrastructure\JRE) with a working copy from an existing install, or from the install media of the existing folder files.

To collect the JRE folder from the Installer:

1. Take a backup of the current JRE folder (C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre).
  2. Launch the installer for SSO.
  3. Wait for the wizard to load. Do not click Next.

4. Run the %temp% command.
  5. Search for jre.zip. If the %temp% does not contain the jre.zip, use the copy created in Step 1.
  6. Extract contents from the jre.zip file and copy to C:\Program Files\vmware\infrastructure\JRE.

After step 6, the SSO service should upgrade and start up.  At this point I was able to upgrade the Inventory service without any issues.  But when it came to vCenter itself, it would fail at the very last stage and roll itself back.  Ended up uninstalling just the vCenter part, and reinstalling just the vCenter program and that seemed to work fine.  After that, I had to manually edit all the .xml files because they didn't include any hostnames.  VMware has the worst installers I've ever seen in my life.

Message was edited by: NickA99

0 Kudos
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I used the steps to successfully start the SSO service now, but I could find the JRE file in %temp%

With a little search on the server I found it hidden in :

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\{DEC4C346-414B-4814-9BF3AGF23GSAA}

0 Kudos
jmac17
Contributor
Contributor

I had the issue this morning and the following KB article fixed the issue: VMware KB: VMware vCenter Single Sign-On service stops and fails to start after cancelling an upgrad...

- Jon

Sh8kerm8ker
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to add to this. I followed jmac17's KB link and that fixed my problem.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

hi

for a sso installation with the db on another server, I had to run the installer first and enter my master password first. then stopped sso and kill all java processes. I think orchestrator has its own java process running so I think I left that one alone.

If I had stopped the sso service and kill all java processes, the installer would not take my master password.

thanks

0 Kudos
Agryppa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have similar problem, for me work this solutions: java from jre.zip work with Inventory Service and for SSO work old java (before upgrade)!

Regards!

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

I posted this sometime back and there is JRE solution  Smiley Happy

Challenges with vCenter 5.1 U1 to U2 upgrade

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
imsorrydave
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me, upgrading vCenter 5.1.0 to U3.

Thanks to knse

0 Kudos