VMware Cloud Community
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

SRM 4.1 with IBM SVC 6.1.x

I'm wondering if anyone out there is running SRM 4.1 on an IBM SVC version 6.1.x version???

I've tried configuring this and the array manager sees the SVC's and the configuration looks good until i try and run a test recovery plan.

I get the following error:

2. Prepare StorageError: Command 'testFailover' is not supported by the  array management system.00:00:10
2.1. Attach Disks for Protection Group "SRM_ALL"Error: Command 'testFailover' is not supported by the  array management system.00:00:10

Having a look at the compatibility maxtrix for SRM i notice that there is no supported version of SRA for SVC version 6.1.x !!

I've been trying SRA version 1.20.10713.

Has anyone else had any luck getting this to work??

Many Thanks,

Mats.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WilderB
Contributor
Contributor

I"m using IBM v7000 (same SRA as SVC) with formware 6.1.02 and SRA v1.21.20711 - I'm having the same problem! Maybe it's a Remote Mirror misconfiguration problem, nat SRA problem. I'll debug it and post here if I find something.

0 Kudos
mats82
Contributor
Contributor

i found the issue to be with the SRA settings.  For the IBM SRA i had to open it's GUI on the recovery site and configure the settings as on page 33 of the following document:

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/WP101765

as soon as i did this it worked properly.

I'm using SRA version v1.20.10713

Regards,

Mats

0 Kudos
WilderB
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to find the guy that developed the SVC SRA and  fixed the problem: Here it goes:

1) SRA ust be installed logged as LOCAL ADMIN (not domain admin). Fail on this procedure will result in SRA registering itself on the HKCU registry key (it should be on the HKLM). Logs show that no variable returns any value in this case;

2) During Testfailover you should configure SRA to behave as you want:

- Test MDisk Group ID - just for TestFailover - storage Pool (or MDisk Group) of the secondary storage that will receive the FlashCopy disk during the test event )must have enough free space)

- Failover Policy(R2/R3) - just for TestFailover:

- R2: a flashcopy of the Read Only (mirror) volume is taken durinf testfailover. When test is finished, this flashcopy volume is deleted;

-R3: a clone of the replicated volume on the secondary storage is done and then a falshcopy is taken. When test is finished, the falshcopy is removed, but the clone remains intact - it's nice if you want to keep the environment in the backup site after the testfailover. The down factor is that it consume stwice the storage space

- Failover MDisk Group ID - just for TestFailover - if you choose R# polucy, it indicates wich Pool will receive the clone before the falshcopy. For the R2 policy its not necessary

- SpaceEfficient Mode(Yes/No) - turns thinprovisioning on and off

- Pré-Configured Env - bypass of all configuration above - you will have to create all volumes, clones and flashcopies before installing SRM -> the SRA will "read" what you have done and use it. No objects will be created on the storages.

- Auto. Switch Replication - TestFailover e Failover - changes replication direction after the failover

Once the SRA is correct installed and the options above are correctly adjusted, everything works fine.

P.s.: the 'MDisk Group ID' is referenced as "Pool ID" in the SVC/v7000 web console.

0 Kudos