VMware Cloud Community
abrough
Contributor
Contributor

SQL2005 database name limited to 20 characters in VC 2.5

For VC, I run a seperate SQL2005 database server, and the database name (not the ODBC DSN) was 'VirtualCenterDataStore' 22 characters long. This had worked well ever since it had first been installed.

I attempted to upgrade VC2.0 to 2.5 yesterday, but the installation failed at the database upgrade stage with a generic error 25003. After several hours searching for solutions and trying various things I put a SQL profiler onto the database, and it captured the error. The install was attempting to execute a procedure and in it it specified the database name as 'VirtualCenterDataSto'. After I realised the problem I shortened the DB name and the installation went smoothly.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and would like to know what VMware were thinking when they decided to limit this (perhaps they were not thinking anything...)

Cheers, Adrian

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well maybe you are right and they weren't thinking anything, and I always hate when programmers have built in limitations for strings, that's just beyond belief. However, for a database, no one is going to see it. The database name is just a place holder, so why not reduce the size of the name to something simple like VI_VC or VCDS.

It's not going to have a presence anywhere else except inside the database, so if it's limited, keep it small. It doesn't make sense that they saw fit to restrict this string size (maybe perhaps because they ASSUMED nobody would make a name that big) but seeing as how you are apparently the only person to uncover this shortcoming thus far, I think you are in the minority, and that's why no one has responded.

This isn't a bug to me, since as you noted you can address a database by a much longer DSN than the actual Table name in SQL. Therefore, this probably won't be a high priority on the list of fixes.

0 Kudos