VMware Cloud Community
hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL server 2003 data migration

Hi!

I'm planning to upgrade Vmware vSphere 4.0 to 4.1. The current vCenter server 4.0 installation is on 32-bit OS. Because vCenter 4.1 must be 64-bit OS i installed new clean 64-bit OS and now i would like to move data from the old database. So my problem is that i use one database for both app vCenter server and Update Manager. Now i would like separate both application to use separate databases like vcenter server (vcdb database) and update manager (umdb database). How can i export only vcenter server data from old database and imported it to new created vcdb database and same step for update manager?

Old installation

Windows server 2003 R2 (32-bit)

Sql server 2005

...one database "vCenter"

New installation

Windows server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

Sql server 2008 (not R2) - 64-bit

...two databases "vcdb" and "umdb"

Any idea, suggestion?

TNX

hhmz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JRHelgeson
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed the following successfully, and documented it. There are some gotchas, so I have screenshots to help. It can be done!

The major gotchas are with the ODBC Driver nightmare.

Microsoft Server 2008 R2 x64

Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 x64

VMware vCenter 4.1

VMware vCenter Update Manager 4.1

VMware vCenter Converter 4.2

The installation of the non R2 version of SQL 2008 is slightly different. I've done both but I only documented the R2 installation because that install is the one that required the launching of odbcad32.exe from different locations. The key difference is the path from which you launch the odbcad32.exe file:

C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Basically, on the non-R2 SQL 2008 install - if you configure the Data Sources (ODBC) System DSN using the \System32\ path and it does not show up under the installatoion of vCenter/Update Manager - cancel the installation and recreate the ODBC System DSN using the odbcad32.exe file located in the \SysWOW64\ directory and rerun the install.

Once you have the underlying Database infrastructure in place you can run the Data Migration Tool

I hope this helps!

Joel Helgeson

hhmz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I cannot use Data migration tools because my old database is SQL Server 2005 not express version.

The Data migration tools is supported only for Sql express database that comes with vCenter Server.

Note: The Data Migration Tool can only be used to migrate the SQL Express database that comes bundled with vCenter Server. Any other databases, such as Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard Edition are not supported. This information is detailed in the article above.

My idea is that i would like migrate only vCenter table data from old database to new one. There is no right reason to migrate the old update manager data.

regard

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would think you would be able to do a SQL Backup and then restore it on your new DB server.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the vCenter forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos