VMware Cloud Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL not growing but backup is??

Hi All,

Last week I changed by vCenter SQL DB from Full Recovery to Simple Mode, mainly because I didnt need it and my transaction log had grown to 18gb so was causing space issues. I did a full backup, changed mode and then shrink, and the DB and log file shrunk to about 300mb each. Great!

Next day they jumped up in size so my DB went to 1Gb and my Trans log to 1.9Gb, and they have stayed at this size for over a week now and the modified date on the files hasn't changed either. My nightyl backups for these are running fine, started at 300mb and have gone up by about 20mb a day each day so something is changing.

Question is, how come my DB size isnt changing or the dates updating? Is the sign that my backups are increasing a sign that the DB is, and its just empty space in the DB file? Anyway I can check.

Apart from that vCenter is working fine.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue. Noticed vCenter DB hasn't updated in over 3 months. DB Backups working fine and vCenter is working great

VC is virtual Win 2008 R2. SQL DB 2008 SP2. Noticed Update Manager DB date changing successfully. vCenter not writing records to the SQL DB?

Tasks & Events retained for 120 days

Anyone?

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've still got this happening but had totally forgotten about it actually.

Just checked and my vcenter mdf and ldf still show the same size they did 7 months ago and the size is also the same.  But in the same time my backups have gone up from 300mb a day to 1gb now so something is changing.  vCenter seems to be running fine (touch wood) so I have no idea whats not causing the modified date or size to change on live db files.

Weird!!  Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess is the database hasn't needed to expand (yet). Not sure how you are growing your environment but mine will grow tremendously adding ESXi servers & VM's over the next 6 months. I'll let you know if it starts expanding the DB (LDF & MDF). I'm not touching anything because everything is working great with vCenter (build 345043).

jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Database started growing finally. Currently at a shade less than 1.5 GB

24 Hosts (ESXi 4.1 build 433742) and 200+ VM's

It's nice answering my own question Smiley Happy

AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah mine has started doing the same too actually.  My LDF file is still at the same size/time it was last year, but the MDF has started to creep up in size slightly, up from 1gb to 1.2Gb.  I have added about 50% more VMs since the original install so this probably explains it and was just not needing to expand till now.

Tempted to shrink the log file too, but if it aint broke, i aint going to try and fix it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Everyone

I think this should be fine.I guess that might be beacuse the roll up jobs are working fine and playing their part here.

What they do is the daily, weekly,monthly and yearly  performance stats are collected by the jobs in the concerned table and they are purged once the data is not required by these jobs, which means the amount of data that comes in and goes out remains nearly the same which explains the same growth in database mdf.

The ldf file can fluctuate depending on the transaction running at that point  of time.

Thanks

Aakash jacob

0 Kudos