VMware Cloud Community
hillchri
Contributor
Contributor

SQL issues in VMware

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm very new to VMware in general. As such, I may have posted this in the wrong forum (if so could an admin please move this to the correct forum).

I'll try to be brief in explaining the problem. I am running VMware on an isolated network here at my company with a small number of VMs. We recently implemented a WSUS server as well to push out updates to the systems on our isolated network. Well, I'm receiving an error when trying to apply an update to the system which is hosting the VMware Virtual Center. However, I've diagnosed the issue and I know how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971818. The solution requires me to "repair" the SQL Server instance. Well, between step 6 and 7 (in the resolution section on the page linked above) the process asks me to find the SqlRun_SQL.msi file for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQLEXP_VIM).

This is the root of the problem. The reason I didn't post this in a Microsoft or SQL forum is because it seems that VMware uses a "custom" SQL Server 2005 version. I've tried pointing it towards a couple of other SqlRun_SQL.msi files - such as the install for the full (non-Express Edition) version but it always complains that "The file is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQLEXP_VIM)" and tells me to look for the .msi file in the folder which I installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 from. As far as I know, it gets installed automatically when VMware Virtual Center gets installed. Therefore, my question in all this is: Does anybody know where the correct SqlRun_SQL.msi file is?

I thought for sure I had found it yesterday when I went into the VIM 2.5.0-104263\redist\SQLEXPR32 directory. I doubled click on the SQLEXPR32.EXE file, and it extracted a bunch of files, including a SqlRun_SQL.msi file, to a directory very similar to where the system was already looking for the file (Drive\\Setup\SqlRun_SQL.msi - it seems the extracted files are all temporary given the randomly generated directory name, and they get deleted once the install fails since SQL is already installed), but I get the exact same error as when I used the other SqlRun_SQL.msi files, so apparently that isn't the correct file either. Does anybody have any idea where the correct SqlRun_SQL.msi file is?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies