VMware Cloud Community
Rufat777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SQL Server VM with vCenter database storage migration

vCenter Server 5 and ESXi 5.

Hi all. Have vcenter server on a physical machine. The database server is VM with SQL Server 2008R2. Need migration recomendation from one datastore to another. The storage systems are different. And can not be shared beetwen 2 servers. HP MSA 2012 SAS Enclouser and HP EVA 6500.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you only good option is to make a note of the host in which your VCDB VM is registered on. From there power down vCenter (it won't work anyway once the DB goes offline).  Then use VMware Converter to migrate the VM from on datastore the other.  Once the VM has been migrated, power on the VCDB VM, power on vCenter, ensure all is working, then destroy to "old" VCDB VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you only good option is to make a note of the host in which your VCDB VM is registered on. From there power down vCenter (it won't work anyway once the DB goes offline).  Then use VMware Converter to migrate the VM from on datastore the other.  Once the VM has been migrated, power on the VCDB VM, power on vCenter, ensure all is working, then destroy to "old" VCDB VM.

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aren't there any RCLI commands you could run to just copy the VM files?   With the old ESX that had the full management console, I used to have to do this by hand anyway.  You'd shut down the VM, unregister it, manually copy the files to the new datastore, and re-register it.   It was time consuming, but simple.   I don't know my ESXi tools as well, so I am not sure if that is possible.

0 Kudos