VMware Cloud Community
itops10
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server 2005 and Virtualcenter 2

We currently have our virtualcenter installed separately from the sql 2000 database server and I would like to bring the two together by installing SQL 2005 onto the Virtualcenter. My queries are what would be the best way to move the database over to the VC from the old server? and what would be the affect to the infrastructure whilst doing this? also if anyone knows what SQL licence I will require will I need per processor or just a licence for each admin that connects to the VC through infrastructure client.

further info but probably of no interest:

6 hosts and 47 VM's all live this includes domain controllers hence my query about the affect of doing this.

currently running ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0 with a hope to upgrading to ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 once the work has been completed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Just do an inplace upgrade of SQL 2005, or have a DBA migrate the data. You will have to perform a database upgrade once you install VC 2.5.

To me, it's probably just easier to do a backup of 2000, then import into 2005, then do the database upgrade. But you might want to consider to just rebuilding a NEW database all together. A clean start is always best.

No licensing considerations, same as what you do now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look to this documentation from Microsoft :

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

This is what we did, it worked well:

- Install SQL 2000 SP4 onto VirtualCenter server

- Backup SQL 2000 VC database from remote server

- Restore to new SQL 2000 SP4 default instance

- Run script to fix user logins on the database

- Run another backup

- Performed VC 2.5 U1 upgrade

- Performed SQL 2005 upgrade

There may be some ways to get this done more efficiently but we didn't want to spend a lot of time figuring this out. It worked in the 'lab' and it worked in Production.

Ben

itops10
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your replies, what would be the affect to the infrastructure though as the database will be unavailble during this period, i assume that it will just run as normal but without the HA and DRS, also I guess I will have to tell the VC where the new database is located?

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

HA will work, DRS will not work while VC is down.

On the new server you should create a new DSN using the 'SQL Native Client' library and use that DSN for the install.

itops10
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your help this information will come in very useful.

0 Kudos