VMware Cloud Community
tobini
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server 2005 SP3 supported with VC2.5

Does anybody know if VC2.5 (Update 2 and/or Update3) support the usage of a SQL 2005 Database Server with the new SP3?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I haven't heard an official line about it, but we have patched to SP3 and it works fine. Based on the changes that have been implemented in SP3, there shouldn't be any problems

----- Mark Atherton
sagittarius_300
Contributor
Contributor

After SQL Server Express Edition SP3 installation (over WSUS) at VC2.5u3 whole VC fails.

I restore it from backup but I must check what`s happen.

Any idea - maybe someone has the same problem ?

Many thanks and br, SagiTTariuS

0 Kudos
gigirex
Contributor
Contributor

Same error for me: The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2)

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

works great for me so far.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
sagittarius_300
Contributor
Contributor

Meybe some more details:

VC machine is VIRTUAL machine, 2GB RAM, 2 eth interface.

My VC is at Windows Server Enterprise Edition 2003, OS is updated frequently via WSUS.

VC version is 2.5 update 3 with VCB and Update Manager.

br, SagiTTariuS

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

support the usage of a SQL 2005 Database Server with the new SP3?

Why wouldn't it? It's a service pack not a major upgrade. I upgraded, no issues. I'd think they don't care about specific Service Packs unless there are known issues, otherwise SQL 2005 is SQL 2005 at any SP level. So it's supported.

0 Kudos
gigirex
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, I'm not using the express version but the full version, and VC doesn't come up after SP3.

0 Kudos
tobini
Contributor
Contributor

As I raised the original question two things about the latest replys:

I used the Full Version of SQL 2005 and upgraded in the meantime successfully to SP3. The service came up normally afterwards, and I saw no issues until now.

I know other Software which do not officially support SP3, but SP2. So, this just means, they have not tested it yet. If we have no official line from VMware about SP3, it might work, or it might not work. As it seems we have here people with either way - whatever is the reson for it. Sure it is no major version change, but as always with SPs, minor changes are done and software might fail if it relys heavily on changed parts.

0 Kudos
sagittarius_300
Contributor
Contributor

I probably find out solution for this problem. In my case it is solution but it may help for other people.

Improtant is installation order.

I dont know (for 100%) why, but after installation .NET 3.5 sp1 and rest of microsoftupdates - sp3 was installed without any problems and everything is OK.

Thats all.

BR, SagiTTariuS.

0 Kudos
gigirex
Contributor
Contributor

SagiTTariuS,

in my case, I don't advice any problem during the update process. As you know, the order pf installation is stated by microsoft update and all updates have been installed apparently without any problem. Only, in my case as a side effect, the VC don't start once installed sql2005 sp3.

After 2 days of attempts to understand why VC don't start (with the error n.2) , as a last resource I have riformatted completely the pc, but I don't have finished yet...

Bye

Luigi

0 Kudos
sagittarius_300
Contributor
Contributor

I did many tests in my testing environment (restore from snapshot take 2-3 minutes). My VC is at virtual machine (I can test all of the things becauce latest backup and snapshots are always on duty Smiley Wink )

VC crashed only after last MS Update installed via WSUS in order:1.SQL SP3, later all of the .net.

I decide to disable WSUS update and I install both patches manually in reverse order.

In my case it helps -I still don`t know why.

Later I apply it at my production environment and it was correct way in my situation.

br, SagiTTariuS

0 Kudos
gigirex
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I have reinstalled completely the pc from scatch. Sql Server 2005 SP3 was the very last thing that WSUS update. After the whole update, I have installed VC that come up after first attempt Smiley Happy .

Perhaps your considerations are true and the order of installation is very important.

But I have lost three days of work.... Smiley Sad

However, many thanks for your support Sagittarius.

gigirex

0 Kudos